Poka-Yoke is a technique used for avoiding and eliminating mistakes.
Poka-Yoke is a fool proofing technique, which is the basis of the Zero Quality Control (ZQC) approach. Generally this technique is used in manufacturing process but has much wider uses, such as; offices - order and invoice processing, hospitals - drug dispensing, aircraft maintenance - particularly with processes having the potential of catastrophic in-service failures.
The term Poka-Yoke is Japanese and can roughly be translated as mistake or fool proofing. It is derived from ‘Poka’ - inadvertent mistake and ‘yoke’ - avoid. Of course, the concept of fool proofing processes and mechanical devises has been around for many years (e.g. see photographs of floppy disk drive and electrical plugs) but is was the Japanese Matsushita Industrial Engineer Dr. Shigeo Shingo who was probably most prominent and influential in developing it into a technique. He turned the idea into a powerful approach for eliminating mistakes and achieving zero defects.
Dr. Shingo wrote the book "Zero Quality Control: Source Inspection and the Poka-yoke system" in 1986. This original source material defined the basic approach. However, the technique has been extensively developed since.
Much more practical details regarding ZQC and Poka-Yoke is provided in Vorley & Tickle's book Quality Management (Tools & Techniques).
To enable delegates to:
- Understand and implement the “Poka-Yoke" methodology
- Understand and practically employ the basic techniques associated with Zero Quality Control (ZQC) and Poka-Yoke.
- Identify where ZQC and Poka-Yoke can be used for best effect
- Coordinate and motive the Poka-Yoke team to provide real, tangible solutions to what appear to be intractable quality problems.
- Train others in the ZQC and Poka-Yoke methodology
- Provide the opportunity to make real major financial saving through QM&T's pre and post course supported assignment scheme.
- Be QM&T validated and certificated Poka-Yoke practitioner.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Quality, Engineers, Software, Food & Drug, etc. professionals who wish apply the ZQC model and methodology to error prevention and problem solving together with obtaining a clear knowledge of ZQC associated techniques.
- Phase I: Principles behind ZQC and Poka-Yoke
- Phase II: Errors and mistakes
- Phase III: Poka-Yoke function and devices
- Phase IV: ZQC implementation
Together with presenting practice examples of Poka-Yoke techniques, devices and case studies
- Practical Case Studies associated with ZQC and Poka-Yoke
- Exercise associated with re-enforcing the morning s Poka-Yoke theory
1. Pre-course visit to develop and adapt the course and associated material to exactly suit the client's needs. Can include branding the material with company style and logo.
2. Pre and post course delegate assignment with QM&T support. The delegate’s assignment / project would be fully assisted and supported online and assessed by one of our qualified and experienced staff. This work based assignment approach has regularly provided significant financial savings, reinforce lessens learnt and provided a practical demonstration of delegate competence. This (on successful assignment completion) provides the delegates with a QM&T Practitioner certificate. This approach is often useful where delegates may not (due to other pressures) be able to immediately apply the newly acquired knowledge.
3. The book Quality Management Tools and Techniques,
by: Geoff Vorley MSc MCQI and Fred Tickle BA CEng MIMech E MIEE MCQI, ISBN 1 904302 04 1. This book would be invaluable for the delegates to complete their pre and post course assignments and provides much greater information than could be delivered in a one day course. The book also places the subject in context and is invaluable in supporting concepts such as Lean and other improvement approaches.
4. Delegate assignment presentation provides the delegate with the opportunity to demonstrate their achievements to a selected group such as; CEO and Directors, key Managers and Supervisors, Editor of the company magazine, etc. This gives the delegate the opportunity to credit and recognise their performance and motivate others to emulate.
COURSE DATES AND COST
- See Training Courses for price list and order form